Friday, January 2, 2009

Crepes


Served with leftover cranberry sauce and sour cream, and apricot jam and cream cheese, both topped with maple syrup.

I went to make crepes the other morning, and couldn't find my mom's tried and true crepe recipe (see Edit below). I searched for about 2 1/2 minutes on the interweb and found two similar recipes, at all recipes and Alton Brown's on foodnetwork.

The first think I noticed is that both use water and milk, which struck me as odd. I followed the first one, though made a suggested change from the comments section: it says to mix the eggs and flour then add wet. The suggested change was to follow standard procedure and mix wet then add dry.

Mix (using great new electric beaters):
2 eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c water
2 T butter, melted
(I added vanilla)

Mix in:
1 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
(I added a splash of sugar)

They turned out okay, but not as good as I'm used to. It may have been the water. I'm going to get my mom's recipe and try again.

On the plus side, I did get to use my new mixing bowl and egg beaters. They performed admirably.

Frying in the cast ire.

Edit: My mom just emailed it to me. Much higher ratio of eggs/milk to flour. And none of this water in addition to milk business.
3 eggs
1 cup milk
1 T sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 T oil
2/3 cup flour
Eggs milk etc in blender, add dries

No comments: