Friday, November 28, 2008

Black currant biscotti



I love biscotti, and it is surprisingly difficult to find good biscotti in this coffee-mad city of ours. I had some last night that was more stale than crunchy, and more often than not I am disappointed when I get it. How hard can it be to make dry cookies, I thought?
Turns out, not too hard at all. Simple ingredients, simple instructions. I think it must be the storage that ruins them at shops.

I didn't bother to look far, and quickly settled on a recipe over at Joy of Baking for cranberry-pistachio biscotti, even though I have neither cranberries nor pistachios. I do have black currants in abundance, though, and cookie recipes usually aren't bothered by substitutes.

Whisk together:
2 eggs (large, but I only have medium-large)
2/3 c white sugar (only have raw)
until thick and a bit fluffy. Add:
1 tsp. vanilla

In a separate bowl mix:
1 3/4 c flour
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder

Mix together, and add fruit/nuts. Shape into log 12 inches long and 3 1/2 inches wide. Bake for 25 min. at 350∘(can someone please tell me how to make the degree symbol more easily?). Let cool for 10 min. Cut into biscotti shapes and bake for 10 min. twice more, once on each side. Let cool. Dunk.

So, a little detour. We went to check out the anti-anti-gay protest at Havana, so I turned the oven off and left the little fellas in. When we got back I flipped them over and turned the oven on. I left them a little long, as you can see, but they look great and as soon as I'm done this veggie dog I'll let you know how they dunk....(minutes pass)...

They dunk very well. They aren't as airy as other biscotti I've had, and are still a bit chewy. The currants are perfect. I'll probably use a little less sugar next time. All in all, a wonderful and successful snack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had a biscotti that I didn't think was stale, and I assumed that's just the way it was. Now I am totally gonna try making them at home! I have also heard of something similar and delicious called rusks... you had 'em?

Brenton said...

Rusks? Sounds familiar. Irish?