Sunday, November 23, 2008

More bread!!!





True to form, I moved from chocolate to bread. I whipped up a two-loaf recipe yesterday morning before a visit from a friend, the standard recipe I got from my mom, who rarely ever bought bread in my childhood. The recipe is as simple as it gets, and is mostly done by feel:

2-ish cups warm water
dollop of honey
1 T yeast (a little less, actually)
dollop of oil

Let stand for a few minutes until yeast flowers. Add:

2 cups flour, then
2-ish cups flour and
1 tsp-ish salt (you add the salt at this stage so it doesn't inhibit the yeast)

Knead.
Let rise 1 hour or so.
Punch down.
Shape.
Let rise 1/2 hour.
Bake at 375 for 29 minutes.

There is nothing particularly special about this bread, except that it inevitably reminds me of my mom (and dad). That's special. And it's so simple to get right, so when it goes a little wonky (rose too fast in the oven and split the cap, see picture #2), it's still fantastic.

No comments: