Friday, November 7, 2008

1-hour bread, take two




I just started my second try at 1-hour bread (see below). This time I used a higher proportion of whole wheat/spelt flour, because I ran out of white. I also didn't put the salt in with the yeast, as it inhibits the growth. I decided to use less yeast (1 1/4 T rather than 1 1/2 T), because I just don't need that much yeast in my diet. The yeast flowered very quickly, and I was on my way.

Then, right near the end, I realized that I had forgotten to add the salt. S-M-R-T. So I sprinkled some in with the last of the flour I was adding, and kneaded it in. I'm not sure how it will turn out, but I think it should be fine. The bread is rising right now beside the warm oven, and my stomach is already rumbling for that bread/butter combo.

Last time (see comments on above link) I left mine in for a few minutes longer than suggested (22-23 rather than 20) and was quite pleased with the outcome. At 20 the bread was barely browning; at 23 it had browned nicely and was perfectly done inside.

It's in the oven. Already the bread is bigger than last time, so it would seem that the salt/yeast thing worked. I will try reducing the yeast further next time. I've been a bit spacey this morning, and forgot to set the timer, so it will have to be an estimate. I've never been one for exactly following the recommended times of recipes, but with this one I'm trying to get it just right.

And it's out. It's beautifully brown, nice and round, and definitely bigger than last time. If I had to guess, I would say it was in for 24-25 minutes. Tastes great. Nice and dense without being gummy or too heavy, the crust is wonderfully chewy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this bread again too, and while I am still impressed with it's one-hour-ness, I think I am just going to try to get excited about making all kinds of awesome bread, and then not minding that it takes several hours. I mean, am I not hanging around my house for several hours each day ANYWAY? I rest my case.

sidenote: guess what my "word verification" word is? undie. like undies. undies! ha!